hold up the sky

the butterflies need their spring...

Saturday, September 24, 2005

life's fine print

I have an issue with fine prints. I think if there's anything important that needs to be said it should be written in BIG BOLD LETTERS, maybe even with glittering or flashing lights. Or both. But no. All the useless stuff takes centrestage and all the stuff that could get you in trouble- or sometimes out of trouble- are all written in teeny weeny, itsy bitsy type set. Worse, they write alot alot alot of stuff in these fine prints. Like paragraphs upon paragraphs of verbal chatter, much of it in some form of legalese or other, in print which we are expected to read. I mean, look, we have a serious myopia problem as it is.

And we evolve. Sometimes these fine prints aren't even real fonts, written in the special "I told you so last week/month/year" ink; typeset in the "Now you see it now you don't" template. Fine prints that sometimes sneak up on you cloaked in terms like "obligation"; in "promises"; "duty." Talk about wolves in sheep clothing.

Click to read this

Sometimes we mask our real agenda in these fine prints, thinking that probably no one but the detail-insane would discover. And so you think you're safe. You've got one up on the guy you planned on suckering. Then someone does the unthinkable. They read the fine print, they plough and belabour these strange and new language. They make sense of the warped syntax, conjucations and terms and you're busted.

So I learn. I learn to read these fine prints that sometimes say: "Say good by to your social life"; "hello torture"; "I got ya good"; "I own you"; "Slog for peanuts"; "Put me on a pedestal"...

And when I stumble- though now I'm more aware of these quickbites- upon these fine prints, I simple take it and throw it in the bin. Why waste time on the innae and the superfluous? I have better things to do than entertain your little mind game, too many things to do really: saving the world, eradicating poverty, educating the heart...

7 Comments:

  • At 10:21 PM, Blogger kim said…

    babe............

     
  • At 10:02 PM, Blogger Georgia said…

    :) had no idea my blog wasnt Mac-friendly-ah well; you cant have everything in life!
    at any rate, "=/" is all i can say, really in reply to this entry.

     
  • At 4:05 PM, Blogger kim said…

    true. but as long as you have the good things.. -*Kimmy

     
  • At 10:26 PM, Blogger Georgia said…

    couldnt agree more~

     
  • At 11:01 PM, Blogger kim said…

    ha ha ha. yeap! and anything that isnt red :) -*Kimmy

     
  • At 1:20 AM, Blogger hold up the sky said…

    you are riot kim.....

     
  • At 3:50 PM, Blogger kim said…

    i know :) don't you shudder at the sight of red now? icks. -*Kimmy

     

Post a Comment

<< Home