hold up the sky

the butterflies need their spring...

Thursday, January 12, 2006

Day 1: It's not about me

I've read the "Purpose Driven Life" once before when one of my students gave me her copy at the end of a particularly eventful training session. Her copy was dog-earred, highlighted, and it had the slightly worn look that suggested that she had obviously been pouring over its pages. In fact, when i got hold of that copy, I was already the fourth in line to read it. It was a pass-it-on copy and I've no clue where the book is now given that I also passed it on to a friend. In any case, I've now got my own copy of the book and its been a phenomenal re-read.

"Everything got started in Him and finds it purpose in Him." Col 1:16b In the course of my work I speak of the idea of purpose, the concept of knowing what is it you were put here on earth to do, the understanding that we were put here to fulfil some sort of mission, destiny, grand plan. We talk of knowing, of learning, of discovering. We preach of living the life we were meant to live, being the person we were destined to become. We speak of purpose as though we have infinite and tangible say in what that might be. That as humans, a minute part of the grand vastness of the larger, unfathomable present eternity, we might actually dare lay claim to our discovering what it is we were out here to accomplish.

It's humbling, I must admit, to know that we may not always know everything, that we cannot know everything, and that we should not know everything. That we may choose and decide upon many things, many great things in our lives- but we would never get a chance to choose our purpose. That we may seek it, search for it, plough through pages of self-help books, attend seminars, follow gurus and what not only to discover that we have to wait- oftentime patiently, introspectively, humbly- for it, and its fullness, to be fully revealed to us.

Sometimes we just have to patiently wait.... and perhaps, just perhaps, it is in that waiting that all becomes clear.

2 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home