hold up the sky

the butterflies need their spring...

Sunday, December 31, 2006

the last day of the year: 2006

I don't know about you, but, for me, the past year has zipped by quicker than I could possibly imagine. It was as though God had my life on fast-forward. I've been barely able to catch my breath; or really, fully, appreciate each moment that comes by. Its been a whirlwind of year; its Rie on hyperdrive mode and all systems go-go-GO! To say its been a mad rush, is an understatement.

Yet, though this warp-time/speed hulabaloo of a year, I think i've grown the most, learnt the most, experienced the most. Its been a year of jammed-packed emotions and motions, of big decisions and life moments and of great lessons and greater blessings.

The year started on shaky terms, immense emotional distress and far too much uncertainty. But as Dickens would say, it was the best of times, it was the worst of times.The will of God will never send you where the grace of God cannot keep you. Its an easy line to quote, really, but a tough one to live by. It was a time of spiritual renewal for me, of going back to God and revisiting who I was, what I stood for. It was a time where God stepped in to clean up my mess and good friends stood by me, held my hand, kept me sane.

It was a crash course in learning, in growing and in humility all rolled into one action-packed year. Someone asked me one time, "Cherie, how do you know you've finally grown up?" I didn't know the answer then, but I do now: You know you're a grown up when you can admit you don't know alot of things... and its ok.

Pre-grown up time, ( I say "pre-grown up" rather than "teenage years" cos some teens are grown ups and some adults are not), you have the impression that you know everything, can handle anything, you're invinsible. The fact is, at least in my experience, there's way too much I don't yet know; far too many things I've still to learn and its alright to say "I don't know" and ask silly questions.

Its been a time of milestones as well. A time of change and new beginnings for me, the family and friends. Rie and Ruben got married. Olivia and Honliang got married. Elaine got hitched too, amongst others. Cecilia got her driving license. Mariann graduated from primary school. Clary went off to read Law in King's, her second degree. Ethel moved away. Joan and Terence had baby Clare. Ben and Faith had a baby Anastacia. Tammy and Jr added baby Twila to the mix. Rie gave her first all-mandarin training to China/Taiwan CEOs and CFOs and pulled it off. Mariann got her ears pierced. May ran in the StandChart 10k race. Cooper joined the family. Moosey died. Rie spoke at a General Elections forum alongside actual politicians whom she studied about. She then went on to do two mandarin radio interviews. Mum signed her first painting. Kimmy went to big school then bravely stopped going. Gave the ok to my team to stand ground and tell an incorrigible client to buzz off- we did it politely of course- and learnt what intergrity, ethics and pride was all about.

Oh, the list continues... the learning continues... time moves on...

There has been much laughter, some tears; often a mix of both, really. There's been good times, some not so good ones and moments of absolute mundaneness its almost laughable. There has been personal acheivements and personal bests; and personal hurdles, grave lessons and humbled moments. Its been a time of renewal, renewed friendships and revived purposefulness; it has also been a time of questioning, farewells and the letting go of kites that have been tettered for far too long. It has been opening of chapters, closing of some and the continued writing of others. Its been a year of taking sides, closing ranks, about turns and standing ground.

Thanks to you all who have been such a blessing: I love you loads.

The clock is ticking and soon 2007 will be here and in will come a new year of much much more.

I can hardly wait.... :)

Labels:

1 Comments:

  • At 5:15 AM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    your precious butterfly presents are still with me.

    oh, and, remember how at the end of 05 we were smsing and talking about how it's so crazy that 06 was coming along so quickly?

    ha. i can't believe we're talking 07 now.

    love ya!

     

Post a Comment

<< Home