hold up the sky

the butterflies need their spring...

Sunday, January 15, 2006

Day 4: There's gotta be more to life

I am not a big Stacie Orrico fan. In fact, before the writing of this blog, I didn't even realise her name was spelt with at -cie as suppose to a -y; and of course I also spelt her surname wrongly. I personally have nothing against people with beauty marks but for some reason I've always found Miss Orrico's highly distracting. Even when I'm not watching MTV, and am only listening to her on the radio, I find her mole looming at the back of my mind. I don't get that with Enrique though- yeah, yeah, I'm on first name basis with him- maybe that's cos he got his removed. Anyway, much as I'm not a fan of Stacie, I do love her music and the phenomenal messages that she drives.

She speaks of how life's funnily absurd. How when we appear to have everything, we still feel empty; how when we appear to have all the going-ons going for us, we find ourselves emptier inside. That we seek highs that are but temporary, we squander the precious, and we are always two steps shy from finding what it is we seek to find. We plug at life searching for answers, finding the right formula, collecting accolades, storing up treasures and other pretty playthings... and we so badly want to believe we have it all. We are so busy writing all the titles behind our names on our namecards, so keen to share our acheivements with the rest of the world, so quick to jump up and down and scream "Me! Me! Me!"... Only to face the bitter reality that it all counts for naught. Nada. Zero. Squat. Zilch.

Because, beyond the pages of the books that we fill is another chapter waiting to be written, more brilliantly than the ones before. That beyond the journey of this life that we live is another place- unbounded by space, time or the humanness that defines this highly material world- where better things wait us. That past the transcience of wanting to the most popular this and that, desiring to have millions shored up in our vaults and having people laude us with "thank yous" and pats on the back- we realise, deep inside of us, that there's gotta be more to life.


Stacie Orrico: (There's gotta be) More to Life
I've got it all, but I feel so deprived
I go up, I come down and I'm emptier inside
Tell me what is this thing that I feel like I'm missing
And why can't I let it go

There's gotta be more to life...
Than chasing down every temporary high to satisfy me
Cause the more that I'm...
Tripping out thinking there must be more to life
Well it's life, but I'm sure... there's gotta be more
Than wanting more...


I've got the time and I'm wasting it slowly
Here in this moment I'm half way out the door
Onto the next thing, I'm searching for something that's missing

i'm wanting more
I'm always waiting on something other than this
Why am I feelin' like there's something I missed.....

5 Comments:

  • At 10:08 PM, Blogger kim said…

    yeah. i lay in bed last night and thought about the things i've done so far in life, and the things i'm about to do- and the whole concept of time. and it seriously scared me. i saw my whole life flash before my eyes and pass me by. it's scary shit. and how when you're happy it never quite lasts for long- dissatisfaction seeps in and you realise there's something youve missed along the way but you don't know what. and it's the not knowing what to do to make yourself feel complete that gets at you. SIGH.

     
  • At 1:22 AM, Blogger hold up the sky said…

    well sweets, life's funny like that. We forget to remember, we remember to forget, we forget to forget and we remember to remember. Time's a funny thing- only cos our mind, our hearts, our souls and spirits defies common understanding and logic. I don't know what it takes for each of us to feel complete, maybe we'd have to ask God when we see him next time.

     
  • At 5:47 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said…

    I'm still around :)

    There's a quote I only vaguely remember, but it says something like the greatest courage is in saying YES to life, even knowing its suffering and eventual end.

    A

     
  • At 6:55 PM, Blogger kim said…

    i suppose so babe. ah well, life. see you tomorrow ;)

     
  • At 10:52 PM, Blogger hold up the sky said…

    Dear A,

    Was wondering where you were given you've been rather silent. Someone once said, also, that courage is in choosing to have something more important than fear.

     

Post a Comment

<< Home